Boat Storage Facility Canton Ohio
Once summer has gone and winter is approaching, outdoors is no place to keep your boat. It is far better to organize your boat storage before it is too cold to go outside to prepare it for winter storage. If you leave it too late it may suffer from winter storm damage which neither your wallet nor your insurer will like.
Winterizing your boat for undercover storage is not simply a matter of taking it out of the water, putting it on a trailer and driving it down to your Canton Ohio self storage unit. You may get an unpleasant shock when spring comes around and the engine won’t start and your battery is flat. Let alone the dust that has collected in every corner of your expensive investment. Your family won’t like it if you spend spring weekends simply putting it into working order again when this could have been avoided in the first place and you could be out water skiing, fishing or simply going for a picnic to a deserted beach.
The best way to ensure that your pride and joy is ready when the first beam of sunshine starts to warm the waters of your favorite boating destination, is to formulate a check list to follow that will ensure your boat can care for itself once laid up undercover in your chosen self storage unit in Canton, OH.
Before putting your expensive investment into boat storage in Canton, Ohio for the season, you should always start with a good checklist of things to do prior to putting the boat away. If you aren’t methodical about your preparation, then your boat might not be in its expected condition when you have it towed back to its marina or mooring.
Here are few tips on preparing your boat
- Check that your insurance is up to date and covers your chosen boat storage depot.
- Choose a climate controlled boat storage facility as this will mean your boat won’t be exposed to extreme temperatures.
- Make sure you will be able to remove your boat easily at the start of the next season and it’s not going to be locked in by the position of other boats.
- Depending on the size, you may have to get a crane or travel lift to lift your boat out of the water and you will have to organize this in advance. If you own your own trailer and you have a vehicle with sufficient power to pull your boat from the water you can then take it to the self storage.
- Before going ahead with the process of winterizing your boat in preparation for boat storage, check the boat’s manual to see if there are any special requirements for storing your particular model of boat.
- Winterizing your engine is the next thing to do. Make sure you slowly turn it over to lubricate the moving parts and remove any water. If it has a heat exchanger, put antifreeze in place to stop cooling pipes from bursting in freezing conditions.
- If the engine is an outboard, fresh water should be flushed through the system to minimize the possibility of internal corrosion.
- If you don’t have one, you should purchase or have an engine cover, custom made. This will keep your engine dust free and keep it in the same condition as when you left it.
- The starter battery should be taken home so that it can be periodically charged up during the long winter months otherwise you risk a flat battery which sometimes can never be restored.
- The interior of the boat should be thoroughly cleaned and all food should be removed.
- If the interior cushions or exterior cushion covers need a clean then this is the time to remove them and clean and store them so they are ready to be placed back next spring.
- Thoroughly cleaning the hull above and below the waterline will mean there is less to do next spring. Washing and scrubbing with mild soapy water will rid the hull of grime. Checking for scratches is a good thing to do and once fixed, an application of compatible touch up paint can be applied. A coat of waxed polish could then be rubbed into the surface. This will prevent dust from sticking to the surface while it is in its self storage unit. It will then only require a light buff before putting it back in the water in the spring.
If you follow all these tips carefully, you will not only get many years of fun out of your boat but your annual maintenance will be so much less too.